跳到主要內容

Ubuntu 8.04 Nvidia Driver Setting for Dual Screens

As I updated my Ubuntu 8.04 kernel to 2.6.24-23, my dual-screen setting got mess up. This seems to be a common problem but the exact solution is not clear at this point. I here provide the procedure that worked on my system. I have tried several procedures found on the webs but none of them worked out. The direction, through, was to install the drivers manually. I was able to do that but I kept encountering an error message when I run nvidia-settings:
You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server.
I thought the problem has something to do with the xorg.conf. Luckily, I was able to find the very one version before I ran kernel update. It was renamed as xorg.conf.1. I replaced my xorg.conf with this version and started the following steps. I think this was the key for success.

p.s., My system is a 32-bit LTS version and my graphic card is Nvidia GeForce 6600.

1. Download the latest version from Nvidia web. What I got was version (180.22):
  • NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.22.pkg1.run
2. Remove previous nvidia driers
  • sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*
3. Shut the graphic interface off
  • sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
  • Press Ctrl-F1 to use the terminal shell in text mode
4. Install the driver by typing the following line in a terminal shell
  • cd to the directory where I save the Nvidia driver
  • sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-180.22.pkg1.run
  • Answer No when asked to download the precompiled kernel interface from nvidia ftp site. (I chose yes and it said no interface was available for my kernel, which is 2.6.24-23 anyway)
  • Answer Yes or Ok to compile
  • Answer Yes to run nvidia-xconfig utility
4. Turn on the graphic interface
  • sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
5. Saw the logo and got my dual screen back!

A few notes or questions:
  • Since I use the old xorg.conf to start with, I did not install nvidia-settings, nvidia-glx, nvidia-glx-new, linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24-23-generic using Synaptic. Not sure if this is the best way. Wondering if I'll lose integrity in Synaptic.
  • Do I need to install nvidia-settings and other stuff if I don't dare to change any setting?
  • To start a new xorg.conf: sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
  • To turn on/off the graphic interface: sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start (or stop)
  • To uninstall previous nvidia drivers:sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia-*
Useful references from the web:

留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

octave 繪圖的字體調整 fontsize

用octave繪圖的時候,通常有下面的調整: figure (1);  #####設定x軸字體 xticklabel set(gca(), 'fontsize', 24)    plot(randn(100,1)); #####利用text property調整字體 legend('{\fontsize {24} random pts}');  xlabel('{\fontsize {24} X axis annotation'); 參考資料: octave manual matlab central

守望台書庫光碟2010安裝在ubuntu 11.10

更新: 書庫可以在ubuntu 12.04 (wine 1.4)中順利運行,不必經歷下面的修改步驟。 因為一不小心把ubuntu 11.04升級到11.10,發現《守望台書庫光碟2010》(Watchtower Library 2010)本來可以運作好好的,竟然不能工作了。底下是我找到的一些克服的方法: 因為是從11.04升級到11.10,因此我的wine版本是wine-1.3.28,而這個版本,也是出現問題的版本,原因在 wineHQ的網頁 上有講: Watchtower Library 2010 does not work in wine 1.3.27/28 While this bug is not fixed you can fix it yourself. You need to remove a manifest for built-in version of MS runtime library. You can do this by executing the following code in terminal: rm ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/winsxs/manifests/*.vc90.*_deadbeef.manifest 怎麼知道安裝的wine的版本?打開『終端機』,鍵入 wine --version 解決的方法 先安裝《守望台書庫光碟2010》英文版,之後再安裝中文版。我不知道安裝的先後有沒有一定,也沒測試到不裝英文會不會有影響。安裝方法跟一般的安裝微軟程式差不多。以中文版為例,放入光碟,打開『終端機』,鍵入 cd /media/WTLIB10CH wine ./Setup.exe  就會進行安裝,安裝步驟你也可以參考下面講到的  -: an everyday story of country folk :- 安裝完之後,桌面會有兩個圖示,其中一個 .link的沒有用,可以刪除。雙按桌面的另一個圖示,名稱是『Watchtower Library 2010 - 漢語繁體字』,不能執行! 接下來用上面講到的原因,要刪到一個manifest,不懂是什麼意思。在『終端機』,鍵入 rm ~/.wine/drive_c/windo

Windows 使用遠端桌面(RDP) 連線遙控 Linux Mint

Main steps: make sure xrdp and vino are installed make sure extra tightvncserver is also installed use vino-preferences to switch on/off the permission use sudo /etc/init.d/xrdp restart to restart vnc server references: Windows 使用遠端桌面(RDP) 連線遙控 Ubuntu install tightvncserver image credit: sourceforge.net